Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Interview


I would like to introduce to you, Charles Chon, a police officer for University of California Irvine.

I met Officer Charles when I used to work at a Starbucks close to campus. I chose to interview him because I feel that what he does as a living is very respectable and admirable. Also due to him being Asian American, I was curious about some things....here are the questions that were asked with his answers. Enjoy!

How do you identify yourself?
As a Korean born American

Did you ever deal with racism growing up?
I can't recall any specific event of racism toward me personally.

When did you realize you wanted to become a police officer?
In my late teens.

Why did you want to pursue your career?
Curiosity as to what police officers do and also I enjoy watching cop shows/movies.

Do you feel that there are challenges being an Asian American? If so, what are they?
In this day and age, I don't believe that there are challenges of being an Asian American.

Do you feel that there are advantages being an Asian American? If so, what are they?
Being bilingual.

Do you feel that racism still exists?
Definitely

What kinds of changes do you feel still needs to be done?
I think that we need to change as individuals, meaning that we shouldn't look at people with colored lenses. We need to treat people as we would want to be treated.

What advice would you give to young Asians growing up in here in America?

Keep your culture and heritage alive. Give it your best at everything you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment